Monday, April 20, 2009

Swiss made..


Last weekend I had a dinner at Marche, a Swiss restaurant that just being opened in my town. I had a suop because I don't feel very hungry. But my sister ordered a Swiss traditional food called "Rösti". This is the first time I had this dish. We had it with a big chicken sausage. Too bad I didn't take a picture of it. So, when I went home, I search for it on the net. And here's what I found on wikipedia, the source of all the things you want to know=)

Rösti is is a Swiss dish consisting mainly of potatoes. It was originally a common breakfast eaten by farmers in the canton of Bern, but today is eaten all over Switzerland and also in many restaurants in the Western World. Many Swiss people consider rösti a national dish. Today, rather than considering it a complete breakfast, it is more commonly served to accompany other dishes such as Cervelas or Leberkase. Although the basic Rösti consists of nothing but potato, a number of additional ingredients are sometimes added, such as bacon, onions, cheese, apples or fresh herbs. This is often considered to be a regional touch.There are different views on what makes a perfect Rösti. The greatest difference of opinion is whether to use raw or boiled potatoes as the main ingredient. Also, the kind of potato which makes the best Rösti dish is widely disputed. Traditionally a special type of potato (the Rösti potato) is used for Rösti, and they are boiled first.

Here's one simple recipe of Rösti. I'm gonna make it myself to later for my dinner. I don't really care if the timing is wrong considering that it should be eaten for breakfast=p



ROSTI

Ingredients:
  • 6-8 potatoes
  • 1 lg. onion
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 1 1/4 c. grated Cheddar

Directions:

  1. Peel potatoes and onion. Finely chop onion, finely shred potatoes. Combine potatoes, onion and salt.
  2. Heat 2 skillets. Divide butter between them. Heat butter until slightly brown. Add 1/2 of potato mixture to each skillet and cook for 8 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add grated cheese and firmly press mixture. Cook covered for 5 minutes until bottom is crispy.
  3. Turn cakes over and cook for 5 minutes more. Serve immediately.

(images from flickr)

No comments: